The Perfect Creamy Broccoli and Pea Soup- Winter food
It is freezing in Johannesburg, South Africa and I can safely say that the cold weather is here and by the looks of things, it will be keeping us company for a good three months still. As I mentioned before, I love the food associated with winter and cold nights. So here I am kicking off my Soup Series with you. Over the next couple of days I will share some delicious, easy to make soup recipes that I have created. I promise you its a feast for your tummy and your eyes. I mean look at this beauty above and below, don’t you want to dig right in? Besides the taste of this creamy bowl of soup, don’t you love the way the image turned out. I think it is one of my favourites, what do you think?
This broccoli and pea soup is a dream. Its warming, delicious and creamy and will make great company on a cold winters evening with some crusty bread. It really is a no fuss, super easy recipe that gets done in no time. As a result, you can get dinner on the table and served in an hour, giving you plenty time to snuggle under the covers and keep warm with your favourite book or series. Thanks to McCain South Africa for making our lives easier with their wonderful frozen vegetable range. To get things done chop chop here, I used McCain Garden Peas and McCain Broccoli Florets, linked for ease of reference.
If you looking for something meaty then click here for my Moroccan Beef, Chickpea and Spinach Stew recipe.
Stay tuned for a few more winning soup recipes coming up here soon.
Creamy Broccoli and Pea Soup
- 750 grams McCain Broccoli Florets
- 250 grams McCain Garden Peas
- 5 tablespoons Butter
- 1 onion diced
- 1 medium size leek finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 teaspoons Italian herbs
- 3-4 cups veg stock
- 125 ml cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Small bunch of thyme
- Croutons -for garnish
- Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat
- Add onions and leeks and allow to caramelize
- Once the onions and leeks are browned, add the Italian herbs, crushed garlic, salt and pepper
- Mix well and then add the broccoli and peas
- Allow to cook on medium to high heat for about 5 minutes before adding the vegetable stock
- Simmer for about 10-12 minutes
- With a handheld blender, puree the mixture to a creamy consistency
- Add the cream
- Season to liking
- Garnish with croutons and the thyme & enjoy!