These fish cakes are just fabulous. Made with sweet potato instead of potatoes and it is the perfect meal to hide those veggies in the fish cakes giving your kids no clue that they were even in there.It is easy to put together and delivers …
Month: June 2021
This delicious and nutritious tikka masala vegetarian soup hits all the rights spots especially when the days outside are filled with an icy chill in the air. We have been having some glorious sunshine during the day here in Johannesburg but if you happen to …
How gorgeous does this soups look? Well I can guarantee that not only does it look the part, it tastes the part too. The deep, vibrant colour and earthiness from the beetroot combined with the creaminess from the sweet potato makes this a match made in heaven. There is something about a delicious bowl of soup that warms you up from the inside.
It is another quick and simple dish to put together in no time but it is packed with warming flavours. I used warming spices that included cumin, mixed spice and garam masala that complimented the beetroot so well. The addition of the basil added freshness and brought the soup together.
I used, the McCain Diced Beetroot for this recipe, linked for ease of reference. Have you tried McCain’s Diced beetroot yet? If not, you have to, its so convenient and the best part is, all the work is done for you and you don’t have to be left with deep red hands and fingers from chopping and prepping the beetroot. Looking for more beetroot recipes? Click here for my Mackerel and Cashew Nut Salad with Beetroot Vinaigrette recipe or here for my Beetroot Ice Cream Recipe.
Have you made beetroot soup before? If so what spices do you add? I hope my soup recipes make it to your collection of easy go to soup recipes for those colder days.
Stay tuned for more delicious content coming your way.
Beetroot, Sweet Potato and Basil Soup
- 500 grams McCain Diced Beetroot
- 600 grams McCain Sweet Potato Chunks
- 6 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2-3 cups veg stock
- Chopped basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat
- Add onions and allow to caramelize
- Once the onions are browned, add the crushed garlic, mixed spice, cumin, coriander, paprika, garam masala, cinnamon powder, salt and pepper
- Mix well and then add the diced beetroot and sweet potatoes
- Allow to cook on medium to high heat for about 4 minutes before adding the vegetable stock
- Simmer for about 10 minutes
- With a handheld blender, puree the mixture to a creamy consistency
- If you prefer a weaker soup, add a little more veg stock
- Garnish with basil and enjoy
It is freezing in Johannesburg, South Africa and I can safely say that the cold weather is here and by the looks of things, it will be keeping us company for a good three months still. As I mentioned before, I love the food associated …