Fish Cakes made with Sweet Potato
These fish cakes are just fabulous. Made with sweet potato instead of potatoes and it is the perfect meal to hide those veggies in the fish cakes giving your kids no clue that they were even in there.It is easy to put together and delivers on flavour too and it is homemade, so you know exactly what goes in there.
All you need to make these are a few ingredients which include fish, sweet potatoes, a few spices, some onions and the ingredients for the perfect crumb. So let us get started shall we.
I seasoned the hake fish fillets which I quickly flash fried and set aside. To that I added the rest of the ingredients, got the crumbing ingredients ready and got on with fish cake making. I opted to make the fish cakes larger than usual and it was perfect as a single serving alongside some minty peas and potato wedges from McCain (linked).
When you try these fish cakes and I hope you do soon, it will take you one bite to see what I mean by delicious homemade fish cakes. If you are a fish or seafood lover, then click here for my Masala Fried Fish recipe or Mackerel Fillets with Basil Pesto or this yummy Fillet of Fish Burger.
Happy fish cake making
- 400 grams McCain Sweet Potato
- 400 grams hake fillets cooked
- 1 small red onion diced
- Bunch of spring onions
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- Small bunch of coriander shopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs
- Oil for frying / or use air fryer
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius and roast the sweet potato until soft, about 20 minutes
- Once soft mash the sweet potato with some butter and adjust seasoning
- Fry the red onion and spring onions with garlic flakes and chili flakes and set aside
- Flake the cooked fish and combine with mashed sweet potato
- Add the lemon juice, cooked onions and spring onions, chopped coriander, cumin powder, salt and pepper – mix well and shape into balls and flatten to form fish cake patties
- Dip in flour then beaten egg followed by the breadcrumbs
- Preheat Air Fryer to 200 degrees and fry for 15 minutes or heat oil in a pan on medium heat and fry the fish cakes in batches until golden brown and crispy
- Serve with McCain Garden Peas, Chips and Salad
- Enjoy with your family.