Mackerel Fillets with a delicious Basil Pesto served on a crusty baguette….. you will love it
Don’t we all have those days when all you want is something quick to throw together to satisfy those hunger pangs? I had a wonderful weekend of cooking and creating but by midday yesterday I was having one of those days that I have just told you about. My hubby stopped by at the local Euro butcher in the morning and brought back a crusty delicious baguette. With my hunger pangs roaring and the baguette screaming my name I swiftly made my way to the pantry and to the rescue was a lonely tin of mackerel that was dying to be paired with the baguette, so I obliged.
There was some delicious basil pesto lying in the fridge so I decided to throw that into the mix as well. Some baby tomatoes, sliced red onions and fresh chilli made this a match made in heaven. I purchased the mackerel from Woolworths, I have linked it for ease of reference.
Sometimes it really is the simple things in life that can make those hunger pangs run away. I am so glad that I added the basil pesto to the smoked mackerel and I hope you give it a try to. Let me know what you think when you do.
Mackerel Fillets with Basil Pesto on a Baguette
- 125 grams Mackerel Fillets in Tomato Sauce From Woolworths
- 4 slices French baguette
- 6 baby tomatoes thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons basil pesto
- 1 small red onion finely sliced
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 2 chillies finely chopped
- Toast the baguette slices
- Flake the mackerel
- Place the sliced baby tomatoes on the toasted baguette
- Next carefully place the flaked mackerel onto the sliced tomatoes
- Top with dollops of basil pesto, sliced red onion, chillies and adjust salt and pepper to taste